We've Moved

Porterhouse Tomato Update

On the cover of the Burpee Catalog this year there's a picture of someone wearing overalls and holding 3 huge tomatoes in their hands. The tomatoes are plump and juicy looking and barely fit in those tiny hands. So when I placed my annual order, I put those Porterhouse Beefsteak Tomatoes on the top of my list.

Inside the catalog, they are described like this:


Porterhouse Beefsteak Tomato
NEW The greatest extra-large beefsteak we've ever bred. Plump fruits from 2 to 4 lbs. each-sure to beat any record in the neighborhood. The luscious flesh is deep red all the way through with just the right balance of meaty solids and succulent juice. Smooth texture and rich, old-fashioned flavor make this the greatest extra-large beefsteak we've ever bred.

As you can probably tell, I'm a sucker when it comes to advertising. The reality of these tomatoes is that they had big germination problems and I don't think any of them are going to make it over 2 pounds. They are nice sized, good looking tomatoes but I'm going to guess the average size will be about a pound a half. Certainly respectable but far from the 2-4 pound promise.

Taste will be the deciding factor. If they taste great then all will be worth it. If not, then I think I may have to skip the Burpee cover next season.

7 Comments:

  1. Katie said...
    Another person I've found to have issues with Burpee this year. My Burpee asparagus and soybeans never even germinated! They have such a beautiful catalog full of promise, but I will take my $$ elsewhere next year. Sad but true...
    Anthony said...
    Hi Katie, Thanks for stopping by. I've never had any other problems with Burpee seeds before and I think I'm going to let them slide on this one. Still a loyal customer. :)
    Anonymous said...
    I tried Burpee's "Brandy Boy" last year and was very pleased by it's performance, so I was thinking of trying this "porterhouse" variety next year to see if I can get bigger tomatoes. Other than the low germination rate and slightly undersized fruits, were there any big problems? I just want to make sure this type is worth trying before I get it since i'm a sucker for advertising too. :)
    Anthony said...
    They're definitely some nice looking beefstake tomatoes. But I'll have to wait until I taste them to decide if I'd grow them again.
    Anonymous said...
    I've had the same results growing from seeds from Burpee so last year I ordered plants from Burpee and they came in late April. By the time they came, it was too hot to set the bloom and they will not ship plants any earlier. Most growers will not sell plants earlier here in Dallas earlier. Any advise for large, early, plants?
    Anthony said...
    How about starting them from seed? Just keep the germination rates in mind and plant extras.

    These are great tasting tomatoes but as I said they weren't easy to start. Maybe try a different variety.
    Wog said...
    I am growing Porterhouse this year for the first time and they seem to be great. Mine right now are in at least 1.5 lbs which is huge for us in the high desert. We are lucky sometimes to get anything at all. Have not noticed any germination problems but then again I did not pay much attention. Next year I will though. I also love the Burpee's 4th of July.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google