We've Moved

Oh Crap, I Cracked My Crock

compost crockI don't even know how I did it, but I cracked my Kitchen Compost Crock. It was a great crock and has helped me compost my kitchen scraps for a few years now, but alas, it's time has come.

My crock was great for coffee grinds along with the filters, tea bags, vegetable scraps and even the occasional paper towel. No matter how long I waited to empty it into one of my bigger compost bins outside, it never got stinky on my counter thanks to it's built in carbon filter.

With all the coffee that I drink it would be a shame to waste all of those coffee grinds. And I don't plan on going outside to the compost bin every single time I have a cup either. That's why the crock was so convenient.

I'm going to start looking for a replacement before the crack turns into a giant hole.

I have this idea to drill some holes into the lid of a cookie jar and then stuff the filter in there. I don't see why that wouldn't work. Now I've just got to be on the lookout for a cheap cookie jar. Maybe I'll get a cool character jar shaped like Batman or Daffy Duck.

Everyone knows that Batman is a big composter.

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    batman - too funny
    Katie said...
    Try a local thrift store or Goodwill. It never ceases to amaze me what people "throw" away!
    Anthony said...
    Plantingoaks,
    You shouldn't laugh at the batman. :)

    Katie,
    I was thinking about garage sales but I like your idea too.
    Anonymous said...
    Hi - not sure how long you keep your composting greens in the house before you toss in the composter, but I simply use large yogurt containers and put the lid on. I empty them into the compost about 2x a week. We do not notice any order in the house. Good luck!
    Anthony said...
    Yes, but a large yogurt container doesn't look like Batman or Daffy Duck. :)
    ecrabt01 said...
    I found the same crock at World Market for $15. Thats not too bad considering all the uppity cooking stores and Gardeners Supply catalogs want WAY more. I think World Markets are all over the country.
    lisa said...
    Poor crock! Mine has held up really well so far, I got it at Gardener's Supply (for WAY more :) But I like the cookie jar idea...very cool! You certainly won't have a problem with bugs. I mean, who would dare challenge Batman?

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google