We've Moved

Earth Hour 2008



What a good idea this Earth Hour is. In case you haven't heard about Earth Hour yet, here's what they have to say about it on their website.

It started with a question: How can we inspire people to take action on climate change?

The answer: Ask the people of Sydney to turn off their lights for one hour.

On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour. If the greenhouse reduction achieved in the Sydney CBD during Earth Hour was sustained for a year, it would be equivalent to taking 48,616 cars off the road for a year.

With Sydney icons like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House turning their lights off, and unique events such as weddings by candlelight, the world took notice. Inspired by the collective effort of millions of Sydneysiders, many major global cities are joining Earth Hour in 2008, turning a symbolic event into a global movement.

Sitting in the dark for an hour sounds like fun and I'm sure my kids will love it. I haven't heard much about this event but if more people participate this year (like me) maybe it'll continue growing. Remember that last year it was only Sydney.

Let's see, with all the LCD clocks on every appliance in the house, I'm going to have to flip the main breaker. Otherwise I'll be pulling out plugs for the entire hour. And anything with a remote control is also using power even while it's off. The stuff in the fridge should be fine for an hour as long as no one opens the door. It'll be interesting to see the electric meter actually stop spinning for once.

I guess the hour after Earth Hour is reset your blinking clocks hour. But for a good cause like this, I really don't mind.

7 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    I signed on for Earth Hour too, yesterday. I think it's a great idea and I hope it catches on. Will be fun to unplug for an hour - or more!
    Katie said...
    It's on my birthday this year! I've been on their list for quite a while now, but unfortunately they don't have a little bade I can put on my blog, otherwise I would...
    kate smudges said...
    I received an email notice about it ... and am joining. I'll have a nap during that time.

    Sun-dried roasted peppers - are they difficult to make?
    Anthony said...
    Glad to see everyone planning on shutting down for an hour. :)

    Kate,
    The peppers that I Twittered about may just be sun dried red peppers that were stored in oil. But they were so sweet that I'm guessing that they roasted them first.

    Definitely delicious in the Easter antipasto.

    I'll do some experimenting and share my results in a future post.
    Anonymous said...
    saw your blog, and noticed you said you are in Northern NJ too, also noticed you have some raised beds. Did you make them yourself? Or did you hire a landscaping company? I'm looking for a landscaping company in our area to deliver compost and field stones so I can make a raised bed (I don't want to drive back and forth from Home Depot constantly to haul stuff).

    I am going to be doing composting (with gardening it doesn't really make sense not to), but right now I need like 5 cubic yard of compost and fieldstones for a good-looking and easy-to-construct bed.

    Also, where in Northern NJ do you live? We could trade seed, scions, cuttings, etc if needed. Do you go on GardenWeb?

    I live right next Closter's MacBain farm, which is this garden thing they set up where all residents of Closter can collect a little bucket of produce per day for free.
    Anthony said...
    Hi Edwin,
    I build my Raised Garden Beds myself from non-pressure treated wood.

    Send me an email and I can answer the other questions for you privately.
    compostman at gmail dot com
    Sue Swift said...
    Things like that do spread. One similar initiative was the "Clean Up Sydney Harbour" day which the next year became (if I remember correctly) Clean up Australia Day and then gradually became Clean up the World weekend. This year it's 19-21 September. (You can Google it for more info about what's happening where you are.)But it just shows that little local initiatives can become really important.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google