We've Moved

Seed Starting Supplies

With seed catalogs coming in the mail almost everyday and all this talk about starting seeds, it must be time to get ready for some indoor gardening.

One of the most reliable seed starting tools that I use is the APS 24 from Gardeners.com. APS stands for accelerated propagation system. It should really stand for awesome perfect seedstarting because these self watering seed trays are really close to perfect. My germination rates are close to 100% no matter what I'm growing.

Just like other seed starting trays you fill up the squares with soil, seed starting mix or whatever you like to use to start seeds. But the self watering part is where these are different. The chambers sit on top of a mat that hangs down into the bottom reservoir. So as long as you keep the bottom filled with water, the capillary mat will suck the water up to the soil squares and keep them evenly moist. I only have to refill the water every few days and there's no more misting.

The 24 in the name is because it has 24 two inch growing chambers. There's also an APS-6, APS-12 and an APS-40 in case you want bigger or smaller growing chambers.

I'm sure there's better ways to start seeds but these trays have worked well for me.



Buy The APS 24 Seedstarter

8 Comments:

  1. Colleen Vanderlinden said...
    Hmm. You mean you don't get to experience the utter thrill of waking up at 2 AM because you didn't mist your seeds, and now you're positive they're a lost cause because you let the medium dry out? Not that I have any personal experience with that, of course ;-)

    These might have to go on my (getting longer every day) wish list...
    Anthony said...
    The old 2:00 AM misting problem. Yes, I know it well. :)

    These APS trays are reusable if that helps move them up on your ever growing list(I have one too). I soak them in a bleach water mix at the end of the season and they're ready to go again next year.
    Colleen Vanderlinden said...
    That does move them up a bit. The ones I have now are probably ready to retire, anyway. This will be their last season, then I get to upgrade :-)
    Carol Michel said...
    I tried two of these last year, and was very pleased with the results. The self watering feature was especially wonderful. Mine are clean and ready to go!
    Tea said...
    These look like a great idea! A wee bit too early to start seeds here though. The comment you left about the bugs dying and not being as many in summer does make sense. I hope that happens. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    tea
    xo
    Hanna said...
    I just bought a self watering seed starter from Jungs. I am looking forward to trying it. I always, always forget to water my seedlings and ultimatly kill them. I am hoping this will change that.
    Anonymous said...
    Do the roots grow into the capillary mat? That would be my only concern.

    Other than that, these look awesome.
    Anthony said...
    Red Icculus,
    Yes, if you let the seedling get too big, the roots will definitely grow along the mat.

    I'm guilty of this with my tomato plants sometimes but I carefully pull the mat away and even if some roots break off, it hasn't even affected my tomatoes.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google