We've Moved

Tomato Growing


We've got tomato flowers! And that means that tomato sandwiches are in our near future. We have a Summer Sunday tradition in my home it's all about tomato sandwiches.

We go to the Farmers Market in Ridgewood, NJ to pick up the special supplies for these beautiful sandwiches. The Market is very small, with only about 5 or 6 vendors who set up their tents in the parking lot of the Ridgewood train station. Besides the usual fruit and veggie stands that most markets have, there's also an Amish stand that sells all kinds of baked goods. We always purchase the semolina peasant loaf. The peasant loaf is a giant round crusty bread with a hole filled spongy middle. I think the holes are a sign that the dough is very sticky and it's also a sign of some good tasting bread. The Amish vendor at the Farmer's Market always sells out of it quickly so we try to get there early.

There's also a stand set up by an excellent deli in Glen Rock. I forget the name of it but they make fresh mozzarella that's still warm when you buy it. Their cannolis are also fantastic but I'm trying to cut back a little bit and besides I'm talking about my sandwich here. I'll save the cannoli talk for a dessert themed post.

With our bread and cheese in hand, we return home and I head right for the garden. I usually gather some basil and a few Supersonic tomatoes. This year, if all goes well I'll also have some Black Krim heirloom tomatoes to try.

The Burpee Catalog has this to say about Black Krim:
"This medium-sized, very dark maroon beefsteak, with wonderfully rich flavor, originated in Crimea, an island peninsula in the Black Sea with perfect "tomato summers". Extremely tasty."

Well I'm extremely ready to give it a taste.

Using a giant bread knife we cut 1/2" slices along the length of the loaf. Then comes the extra virgin olive oil. Drizzle it all over. Don't worry about being neat because this is a messy sandwich. Here's where my wife and I differ, she likes her tomato slices paper thin and I like the thick meaty slices. I appease her by cutting some of these freakish slices before I start cutting my own. Place a few whole basil leaves in the sandwich or chop them if you like. Then some sea salt and fresh ground pepper and your ready for a Sunday Tomato Sandwich.

Wow, now I'm hungry. It's only about 10:00 AM but I think may have some lunch.

2 Comments:

  1. Stunned Donor said...
    Tomato season doesn't get into full swing here until late August, this post was pure torture. On the other hand, I'm headed to Brooklyn for a few days and I can't wait to hit the A&S Pork Store on 5th for their mozz and their housemade sopressata.
    Anthony said...
    August sounds about right for the Supersonic and the Black Krim. But this year I planted some Early Girl because it's torture for me to wait too. They should be ready in July.

    Have a good trip and enjoy the mozz and sopressata. Now I'm hungry again. :)

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google