We've Moved

Vegetables Through Time

swiss chardIf I ever get my hands on a fully operational time traveling machine I would, like most people travel back in time to stop my younger self from making a terrible mistake.

You might think I’d want to give young Anthony some stock market advice or perhaps the final scores of the last 15 Super Bowls but those facts just aren’t as important as the knowledge that I would share with myself. Young Anthony must be told that he’s missing out on the great vegetable known as Swiss Chard.

I had never grown Swiss Chard before this summer and I never tasted it either. And what a shame that is because it’s really easy to grow in a home vegetable garden and tastes great. It’s a cool season crop but it doesn’t really bolt in the heat of summer like other greens. When my Brocolli Raab and Arugula bolted, this chard was still going strong.

My wife told me about how she used to love when her Grandmother cooked chard. She’d saute it with olive oil and garlic and then sprinkle it with parmesan cheese. And now that I’ve had it, I totally agree.

Swiss Chard will play a big role in my fall/winter garden too. These plants in the picture are gigantic because I’ve been doing the “cut and come again” thing whenever we need some leaves for dinner. But just in case, I also planted more chard seeds about two weeks ago.

But now that you mention it, I might want to let the younger version of myself in on some other important information. It’s not everyday that you get to travel through time so I might as well make the most of it. Young Anthony, you should try beets too. You wind up loving them in the future.

9 Comments:

  1. Carol Michel said...
    Would now be a good time to confess that I finally grew Swiss chard in my garden this year, but I never fixed any to eat?

    Guess I really missed out!

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens
    Daisy said...
    Mine didn't grow well. Bad seeds, maybe. Collard greens came up well, but no one liked them. Next year, I'll stick to lettuce and spinach in the greens category.
    P~ said...
    Dang Anthony, plant a little chard why don't ya, LOL! Just FYI, I've been growing chard since I began gardening and it never bolts until the second year. You can start it early in the summer or late spring and enjoy it right through into the snow season. Great standby for greens I think!

    Also on a compost related note. I don't know if you ever drop by my blog anymore, but I thought you'd appreciate this post on my new "compost central" in the side yard. Hope you're doing well! Enjoy the chard!
    Joe said...
    WOW...that is some healthy Swiss chard! I bet that made for some colorful dinners!

    I would like to try some beets. Have you grown Chioggia beets? I just picked up a packet of seeds the other day and I am anxious to plant.
    Anthony said...
    Hi Carol,
    I'm guilty of growing things and not eating them too. I had a whole bed of turnips this year that I wound up composting.

    Hi Daisy,
    Can't go wrong with lettuce and spinach. :)

    Hi P~,
    2nd year bolt? Okay, good to know, thanks!

    I absolutely love what you've done with your side yard! Your Compost Central looks great.

    Hi Parsec,
    Yes, Chioggia Beets are definitely worth growing. Go for it!
    Annie in Austin said...
    We used to love Swiss Chard in IL...with olive oil, garlic, romano and tomatoes. We grew it here and admired how decorative it was in the vegetable garden, but should have started harvesting when young.

    It's time to give it another try - thanks Anthony!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose
    Anthony said...
    Hi Annie,
    Yum, the addition of tomatoes sounds great. I'll have to try that too. :)
    JGH said...
    Sometimes you just have to "grow into" a vegetable. I've been trying to grow into chard myself but it seems I'm just not ready and it won't come up. I'm trying again though and planted some on Sunday. Hope it's not too late.
    Anonymous said...
    great post made me smile. Have you tried the wide rib chard, they are popular here in France. It is two veg in one really the wide ribs are cooked gratin or as with leaves like your wife's grandmother in oil and garlic in France we also fry or melt some anchovy in the oil before putting in the chard pretty good. I wrote a plant profile on growing chard a while back just do a search on my weblog and you'll find the page if you are interested.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google