We've Moved

Grandpa's Hummingbirds

Have you ever tried to take a picture of a hummingbird in flight? Well I tried unsuccessfully for way too long (as my wife was so helpful to point out). So here's a few pictures of hummingbirds sitting still. In flight, they are amazing looking but much too quick (for me anyway) to capture the moment on disk.

These hummingbirds live at my Dad's house in rural CT. Taking the kids to visit Grandma and Grandpa is always a lot of fun.

And I think that taking a 1/2 hour sitting by the window to take some pictures for my blog is time well spent. The kids (ages 2 & 4) are going to create havoc whether I'm watching them or not. :)

3 Comments:

  1. earlysnowdrop said...
    You blogtographers! So lucky to catch a great photo of the hummingbird. I waited 30 minutes in the grass one day trying my hardest to get just one shot of the hummingbirds in the neighborhood. Great job.
    Naturegirl said...
    I sat in a chair trying to capture butterflies landing with open wing on butterfly bush yesterday!! I realized that great photographers need MUCH patience to get the "perfect" shot. Your photos great! I was hoping you would post the recipe for the nectar in the feeder? I use 1 part sugar to 4 of water.What is the used to make it red color... food coloring NOT safe for hummers.
    Anthony said...
    CA Gardener, There wasn't much luck involved, I was just in the right place. My father's property in CT just has a lot of hummingbirds. Click the pictures to see the larger versions and you'll notice that those are two different hummingbirds. If you waited near his feeder for a 1/2 hour you'd have some great shots too.

    Naturegirl, My Dad actually bought the nectar in a bottle. I don't have the details on where he got it or what brand, etc. And I hope your butterfly shots came out great. I saw two butterflies in my "pumpkin patch" today but didn't have my camera. :(

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google