We've Moved

Growing Musa Basjoo - Update

Growing this hardy banana tree has been really interesting. I took this picture yesterday and the musa basjoo now has about 7 leaves with more unfurling every couple of days. The plant is about 4 feet tall now and doing pretty well.

For those of you who are interested, I've been keeping track of it's growth. When I first got the plant in the mail (mid April) from Plant Delights, it looked like a stick

After about 3 weeks, I finally saw a leaf unfurl, which was promising but not all that exciting yet.

Another month went by and the stick finally started looking like a banana tree.

And now with 7 leaves and more on the way, I'm very happy with this plant. I didn't plan on growing it in a pot but due to some unforeseen pool/landscaping problems, I haven't been able to put it in the ground yet. At this point I may leave it in the pot so that I can easily bring it in the garage to overwinter.

With another two full months of summer weather, I think this banana tree will get to about 6 or 7 feet. Not bad for my first try. I'll update again soon.

2 Comments:

  1. Stunned Donor said...
    I love bananna trees and this certainly is a handsome one. Have you figured out what you're going to do with it when Winter comes?
    Anthony said...
    If it never makes it into the ground, which seems likely, then I'll just drag that big pot into the garage. Then I can wrap it with bubblewrap and blankets and keep it warm and dry.

    On the slim chance that it make it into the ground then I have a less defined plan of covering it with a tarp and insulating it from the cold.

    I have memories of my grandfather and I building a mini house around his 8 foot tall fig tree every fall. Perhaps those memories will come to good use.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google