We've Moved

Growing Kohlrabi

Kohl rabiImage via Wikipedia

Since I’ve got a lot of free space in the vegetable garden lately, I’ve been on the look out for something interesting to try growing. Sometimes I’ll go to the store to buy tiki torch fuel and I wind up coming home with a new plant. That’s exactly what happened this week and now I’m going to try growing kohlrabi.

Kohlrabi definitely seems like an interesting vegetable to try growing. So what exactly is Kohlrabi? Kohlrabi is also known as a German turnip. It doesn’t taste like a turnip though. People say it has a taste that sort of is a cross between a broccoli stem and an apple. I think technically the vegetable is related to cabbage but it must be a third cousin or something because I just don’t see the family resemblance.

I planted them a few feet apart but only because of all that space in the vegetable garden that I’ve mentioned before. You can put them a lot closer together if you’re short on space. The rest of the planting instructions are pretty typical, well drained soil, amended with a lot of compost, heavy feeder.

growing kohlrabiSo what can I do with this Kohlrabi? That’s a good question. I’ve looked up some recipes to try and they seem pretty simple. You can eat it cooked or raw. You can fry or grill kohlrabi with garlic and oil but that’s not very exciting. You can cook and old shoe with garlic and oil and it’ll still taste good. I also found some coleslaw recipes that use kohlrabi instead of cabbage. That sounds good. I’ll definitely give that one a shot.

Well I hope to be able to try these recipes, but that depends if the plants don’t get eaten by a woodchuck or get bombed with several inches of hail. It’s been a weird gardening season so far but hopefully I’ll be able to remember it as the first season that I grew kohlrabi.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 Comments:

  1. Ed Bruske said...
    We love kohlrabi. I think it tastes a bit more like broccoli. But it's also a brassica. We are having very good luck with a purple variety. We just peel it, cut into large matchsticks and cook it in salted water, or steam. Toss with butter or extra-virgin olive oil and a little grated parmesan.
    P~ said...
    Hey Anthony, sorry to hear about all the animal troubles this year. Hopefully they won't get to your kohlrabi. We just had a big bunch of these wonderful veggies for dinner tonight as a matter of fact. We like to peel them, cut into chunks and steam until just about done. Then drop it in a pan with some butter and pan fry till finished. Salt and pepper is all we put on. Simple but very tasty.
    Best to you with this one.

    P.S. ever thought to try a pepper spray on the garden. Perhaps grinding up some very hot chilis and spraying the area around the plants and maybe the leaves? This may deter the critters when they go to dig in? Just a thought.
    P~
    Anthony said...
    Thanks for the kohlrabi ideas! I'll definitely give them a shot. I'll have to try the purple ones next year.

    And I have a bottle of hot pepper wax that works nicely but it's rained almost everyday in June so it wasn't very helpful. Good idea though.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google