We've Moved

More Seed Starting

There’s six inches of snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Even though the local woodchuck came out of his hole it, seems New Jersey hasn’t seen the end of winter yet.

That’s fine with me because or the first time in years, my seed starting efforts are actually organized and going pretty well. I love starting my plants from seeds and have been doing it for years. But truthfully it's never been a smooth operation.

The act of putting soil and a seed into the seed starting tray is the easy part. For me, the hard part is getting the shelves, the lights and the trays ready for that act. I’ve mentioned it quick a few times on this blog that my garage is a giant pile of crap. I have tons of tools, ladders, gardening equipment, all of the kids summer toys (bikes, skates, scooters, bubble makers, hoola hoops, etc) overwintering plants (9 musa basjoo and a fig tree) all in a one car garage. During the winter, you really can’t walk in there.

Digging out the shelves and finding everything I need to start seeds is a big hassle that I usually put off until the last minute. And when you don't have a lot of time you focus on the essentials. For me that's mostly tomatoes and peppers.

This year I managed to get started in February. As you can see, it’s March 1st and I’ve already got three trays of seeds started. Yesterday I added some Simpson Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Spinach and Pak Choi to the already started arugula and mesclun.

Since I’m on a roll, I’m actually going to start flowers for once. I’ve always wanted to start my annuals from seed to save some money and this might be my chance. And conveniently sitting in my seed vault are just the seeds that I need.

  • Marigold – Boy O Boy Mixed
  • Gloriosa Daisy – Double Gold
  • Shasta Daisy – Alaska
  • Gaillardia – Amber Wheels
  • Zinnia – Cut & Come Again Mixed
  • Zinnia – Zowie! Yellow Flame Hybrid
  • Chinese Lanterns
I always wind up buying seeds that I never start and for once I’m happy that I did. So let it snow. I’m doing just fine inside.

2 Comments:

  1. Pam said...
    Seeds! I'm so glad it's that time again. Good luck!!!
    Anthony said...
    Hi Pam,
    Yes, it may be cold out but at we can start seeds.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google