We've Moved

The Growing Challenge

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm taking part in The Growing Challenge. So the first thing I need to do is pick something that I've never grown before and get some seeds. This isn't a big stretch for me because I start almost all of my vegetables from seed every year. And I also like to try growing things I've never grown before. So it won't really be too different than what I normally do each spring but I'm definitely going to enjoy reading about everyone's adventures growing a new fruit or vegetable from seed.

chioggia beetgerman chamomilebeetberry

I plan on growing Chioggia Beets, German Chamomile and Beetberry. Here's what the catalog says about each:

Chioggia Beets - Cut open the root and get an internal peppermint stick. This is an improved selection that originally came from Italy in the 1800s . A very popular fresh market choice. Light green tops with light red exterior on the roots make this beet very distinctive.

German Chamomile - A delight for your eyes, taste buds, and overall well being. Its fragrant, delicate, miniature, daisy-like flowers dance on lacy foliage. Known to be used medicinally for hundreds of years, the flower buds when dried can make a wonderfully soothing tea calms the nerves, upset stomachs, promote digestion. A companion plant, it can enhance the growth of cucumbers, onions and most other herbs.

Beetberry - A truly unique plant also known as "Strawberry Spinach." Sprawling plants are grown primarily as a nutritious green for salads and braising while the pleasantly sweet but fairly bland berries provide a fun accent to salads. Loves cool weather but also tolerates heat.

2 Comments:

  1. Stunned Donor said...
    Good choice with the Chioggas, they're one of my favorite things to grow.
    Colleen Vanderlinden said...
    The Chioggas sound good. I grow 'Detroit Dark Red' every year (yeah, so I'm in a beet rut, okay? :-)

    I'm interested to hear about how the chamomile goes. That's another thing I want to try growing. The kids often make having a cup (or three) of chamomile tea a necessary part of my day ;-)

    I've never heard of beetberry---can't wait to hear your take on it!

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google