We've Moved

Slaughter of the Pumpkins

Here's one of the last photos that I have of my pumpkins. It seems that Woodrow the Third decided that my pumpkin patch was his personal buffet.

Woodrow the Third is a big old Woodchuck with a big old appetite. I was able to stop his father, Woodrow Jr, with lots of fencing and constantly filling in his holes. So he was content to stick to eating fallen apples from my overgrown apple tree. It was actually a welcomed sight of him eating my apples because that meant there was a few less for me to pick up. So it was tough but we found a way to co-exist together.

Several years before that his grandfather, Woodrow Sr, caused big problems for my first vegetable garden. But he met an untimely death on the main road near my house. That was the day that I learned that if you ever drive by road kill, and recognize it, cheering should be kept to a minimum and done quietly by yourself at a later time. Not something that the wife and her friends can relate to, I guess.

But now the treaty that Woodrow, JR and I managed to work out has been broken. Woodrow III took a bites out of more than 10 of my pumpkins. The patch has been decimated and only a month before Halloween. War has been declared.

8 Comments:

  1. Ottawa Gardener said...
    Are we talking the kind of cosmetic bites that heal over to add to the decorative fun of haloween or big rotting holes?

    Slugs have rasped my butternuts but not beyond repair. So far they've missed the watermelon...
    Anthony said...
    We're talking about pumpkins with holes so big and open that they have seeds spilling out. Not a pretty sight.

    He figured out how to get through my fence and I didn't notice until it was too late. Smart little bugger came from my neighbors yard and used my giant blackberry bush as cover for his tunnel. :(
    Annie in Austin said...
    Anthony - have you ever read Michael Pollan's book Second Nature?? There's a chapter where the author has a groundhog/woodchuck war which you might find interesting.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose
    Katie said...
    The garden like a buffet to them. They take two bites and leave it for someone else to clean up!
    Carol Michel said...
    That's just awful. Good luck. I hope you win and there is no Woodrow IV.
    lisa said...
    Woodchucks are awful! I had them trying to burrow under my deck-but castor oil drove them out. My mom has tried broken glass in their burrows, moth balls, but her best solution was the yellow, granulated fly bait sold at farm stores. They eat it and die quickly, sometimes in just a few steps. Diabolical yes, but when you feel the frustration of their damage...
    Jenna said...
    Sorry to hear of your war-torn garden!

    I have a recipe from my gran for a decent woodchuck stew if it comes down to it........

    Let me know if negotiations completely break down. It might be a good threat to hold in reserve!
    Ottawa Gardener said...
    Woodchucks. My across the street neighbour told me that he had one and I had felt like I had to sit down for a minute. Let him never cross the street (when a car isn't hurdling toward him...) Sorry about that last part. I love them... living away from my property.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google