We've Moved

Compost Awareness Week 2008

My name is Anthony and I have a Google News Alert set up for the word "Compost". They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step. But I don't have a composting problem, I can quit at any time.

And besides if Google wasn't sending me the latest news that mentioned the word "Compost" I wouldn't know that they announced the dates for Compost Awareness Week 2008. This spring it's being held from May 4th to May 10th in the UK and in the United States it's usually the same week. But what is Compost Awareness Week you ask?

Chief executive Jane Gilbert [of The Composting Association, coolest title ever by the way] said that the week of events offered the opportunity for the composting and biodegradable resource management industries to raise awareness about the importance of composting and its role in making the UK more environmentally friendly.

Compost Awareness Week seems to be more popular in the UK because you don't hear much about in here in New Jersey even with a Google News Alert. But that may be about to change.

I am definitely seeing more and more news about compost lately. With Al Gore doing his Global Warming thing and the whole Living Green lifestyle becoming more popular, I'd say that in general, compost awareness has risen quite a bit in the last year.

I don't think Greens and Browns will become the new Black this year but I'm pretty sure that the idea of taking your yard and kitchen waste and turning it into something useful while reducing space needed in landfills is an idea that's going to be introduced to a lot of new people.

And with my trusty Google News Alert by my side, I'll keep you posted on all things compost.

12 Comments:

  1. Carol Michel said...
    Wow, a whole week for compost awareness. I've put this on my calendar. I'm sure you'll remind us as the time gets closer.

    Carol at May Dreams Gardens
    Gina said...
    I'm new to composting but I'm loving trying it. Next month I turn the big 40 and I've asked for a compost tumbler. My bf looked so shocked..."are you sure you want THAT for your birthday?...what do they do again?" i just keep telling him it makes magic dirt.
    Anthony said...
    Carol, yes it's a good bet that I'll mention it again. :)

    Gina, Well an early Happy Birthday to you and I'm sure it'll be a happy one if get your magic dirt maker.
    Sue Repko said...
    Just came across your blog. Maybe you can help me... I'm hosting a fairly big party and ordered a bunch of biodegradable and/or commercially compostable disposable plates, cups and utensils. Are there any commercial composting facilities in central NJ where I can take this waste? Will it degrade in a landfill, just at a slower rate than in a composting facility? Or are these products ahead of their time and I'm just going to be taking up landfill space anyway? Thanks!
    P~ said...
    Anthony, how goes it? Your pile is huge. You may remember my post a while back about the homemade compost tumbler that I made. Well the second prototype, the one that I roll on the ground just turned me out a great new batch of somewhere between 20 and 30 gallons of compost. Oh yeah, did I mention that I got that in 7 weeks! Check it out.
    Anthony said...
    Sue, thanks for stopping by. If you're like me and have regular recycling pickup provided by your town, I would put those cups and things out with your newspapers. If you don't have regular pickup, then you'll have to call your town and find out where the closest recycling center is in your area. I'm in Bergen Country so I'm not familiar with Central. Good luck and I applaud your efforts at having a green party.

    Another option is to start your own compost bin and compost this stuff yourself.

    P~, I declare you an official Composting Mad Scientist. :) Thanks for the update on your homemade compost tumbler. I think I may be following your lead and building my own tumbler sometime soon.
    Matthew said...
    "Greens and Browns are the new Black." I love it.
    Anonymous said...
    Hi - you sound very experienced in composting, so am hoping you can assist me. I'm new and really enjoying composting. It amazes my husband and me that we keep throwing stuff in the bin, but the identity of the material is gone in less than 2 weeks.
    Here's my question - the temperature of my bin does not seem high enough. It's slightly warmer than outside the bin, but no steam. Could this be a problem? Any suggestions to resolve? Thanks for your helpful blog!
    Unknown said...
    Um.. now you got me curious, wonder when it'll be for the 'South of the Equator' people.
    Sue Swift said...
    Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
    I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
    Sue
    Anthony said...
    Sue Swift, I'm always up for a Blog Carnival. I replied to the post on your blog.

    Bare Bones Gardener, if you find out, please let me know.

    Anonymous, compost can start composting at as little as 94 degrees (heard this number from Paul James, The Gardener Guy). So since your body is about 98.6 degrees, the pile won't feel warm at all. Since you say that things are breaking down in your pile I wouldn't worry about it.

    Although any weed seeds that are put in your pile will remain viable so be careful what you put in the bin.

    Matthew, thanks for visiting! I haven't come across your blog before, I'll be sure to check it out.
    Unknown said...
    Yeah went there from your post and it is the same day for us downunder. So it's in our autumn not spring though.

    Now I just got to remember closer to the time.... and have one or more appropriate posts ready....

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google