We've Moved

Kitchen Compost Crock

I keep garbage on my counter and I'm proud of it. Used coffee grinds, tea bags, vegetable peels, left overs and even some of my junk mail. No, I'm not a disgusting slob, I'm a kitchen composter.

During the winter, it's not always fun to take food scraps out to the compost bin. My bins are at the far end of my property so I can't just poke my head outside and toss stuff in. It's definitely a shoes and coat required affair. That's why I bought a Compost Crock.

It's nice to have a container right there on your counter to toss garbage into. Mostly I use it for coffee grinds and egg shells but other stuff would be fine too. The crock kind of looks like a cookie jar so I don't mind having it on the counter. And there's a carbon filter in the lid so it doesn't smell before I eventually take it out to the compost heap.

I used to use a tupperware container and just keep it in the freezer so it wouldn't smell but I have this one from Gardeners.com now. (aff) Kitchen Compost Crock, Brilliant White

11 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    I keep looking at these, but am a born skeptic... does the carbon filter really keep the smell away?
    Anthony said...
    Well I wouldn't leave it full and then go on vacation but it will keep the smell away if you empty it once or twice a week.

    Or treat it like a mini compost bin and add some shredded junk mail (browns) when your greens are piling up.
    Colleen Vanderlinden said...
    I've been considering one of these, too. For now, I do what you used to do...I just put it all in a ziplock bag or tupperware in the freezer until I feel like going out and dumping it in the compost.
    Unknown said...
    Ah... that's better than I had imagined it would be! And adding the browns makes sense, too.
    Ottawa Gardener said...
    I have a compost bin beside my mini garbage bin under the sink. The smell never really builds up but we do add a lot of coffee grounds... hmmm... junk mail.
    Scooter said...
    Great find. I currently use a copper bin that's lined with some type of rubber. But, the copper is getting all nasty and there is no filter option.

    Scooter
    http://www.gadgetgrid.com/
    DivineMsN said...
    Can you say how much you paid for this? I am looking at the countertop compost bin from burpee.com but this one is much prettier.
    Anthony said...
    I paid about $35 for mine about 4 years ago and it's actually cheaper now. Click the picture and you'll go to Gardeners.com and you can see for yourself.
    lisa said...
    I can attest to the low-smell factor here...I have one of these from Gardener's Supply also. The filters work just fine, and emptying once a week or so is often enough. (Though now with the worm bin, mine won't fill up as fast.)
    Becca Campbell said...
    Has anyone tried washing the carbon filters? Mine definitely keeps the smell down, but it seems to get moldy before 6 months is up. I take it out to dry it every once in a while, but I don't want to be encouraging mold...
    Anthony said...
    Becca, I put my filter in the dishwasher every once in a while. Mine crock came with two filters so it's easy to always have a clean one ready.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google