We've Moved

Outdoor Fireplace

This is my BBQ. It don't use it because there's a huge gas leak in one of the burners that shoots a flame out of the side of the BBQ. So instead of BBQing with fireproof pants on, I stoppped grilling. And it really wasn't a good grill when it was working either. Very uneven heating and there's no lid. There's a metal cover on it now but it actually sits on the grill so you couldn't cook with it on.

After debating whether or not it should be demolished, my wife and I decided that the best thing to do (and the cheapest) would be to turn it into an outdoor fireplace. It probably was used as a fireplace at one point early in it's life.

The first step for this project is going to be to repair some of the cracking stucco. Then I'll pick a nice color paint and see where we go from there. I'll stay away from the terra cotta look that's popular places like New Mexico, Arizona, etc. This is New Jersey so a greyish/slate/blue will be more appropriate. Something that compliments the new retaining walls that we had built around the pool.

Right now I'm installing 150 feet of vinyl fencing (not a fun project to do by yourself) so I won't get to revive the fireplace for a while. But when I do, I'll be sure to have my camera ready to record my progress.

4 Comments:

  1. Stunned Donor said...
    I'd totally tear the gas grill out of that thing and replace it with a wood/charcoal grill, maybe leave the gas pipe to start the thing up.
    Anthony said...
    I'm going to call a plumber to cap the gas line and then I'll rip that nasty old grill right out.

    We thought about using it as a wood/charcoal grill but I think we're going to opt for the outdoor fireplace. I'd rather throw a few logs on and relax than stand over some hot charcoals. I'll buy a new gas grill eventually and put it somewhere else.
    Stunned Donor said...
    An outdoor fireplace will be nice, I have one of those freestanding fire bowls and its great on a chilly Fall night.(sneaking in handfuls of leaves for the smell.).

    There was an article I read somewhere about the phenomenon of the multi-thousand dollar gas grills that people buy and there was a one guy who said something like "You can spend all the money you want on a gas grill, but give me a couple bricks, an oven rack and some real wood charcoal and I can make a better steak."
    Anthony said...
    "You can spend all the money you want on a gas grill, but give me a couple bricks, an oven rack and some real wood charcoal and I can make a better steak."
    I am not that guy. :)

    My kids are 2 and 4 years old. I'm lucky if I have time to throw a few hot dogs on the grill.

    When they grow up, maybe I'll build an outdoor pizza oven. Now that would be great on a chilly fall night.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google