We've Moved

Compost Hair

Since I don't have a very complicated haircut, I started cutting my own hair to save some money. It's pretty much a buzz cut so it's silly to pay $20 for something that takes less than five minutes to do. I'm not exaggerating. The girl that used to cut my hair would take me without an appointment any time I wanted because I was in and out of there so quick.

So once a month, I break out the clippers and go to town on my head. And instead of clogging up the vacuum cleaner with a big wad of hair, I've been composting it instead. I just pick up as much as I can from the sink or the floor after I buzz myself and stuff it in a bag or a container, then bring it outside to one of my compost bins. I either dig a little hole and cover the hair ball with leaves or sometimes I'll just leave it on top of the pile. I've even seen birds come by to take some for their nests and I think that's pretty cool too.

I've read that hair is very slow to decompose but it's a great source of nitrogen (something like 12-0-0). I only just started doing it recently, so I'll report back on how quickly hair breaks down once the warm composting weather returns.

10 Comments:

  1. Chiot's Run said...
    Mr Chiots cuts his own hair as well (although it's once a week for him). It always goes into the compost.
    Anthony said...
    Once a week? Does Mr. Chiot also howl at the moon? :) Good for him, I'm jealous.
    Anonymous said...
    You could save some time and just vacuum the hair up, since there is always some good compostable stuff in there as well.
    Anthony said...
    Cheap Veg,
    If I had a good vacuum that didn't clog, then sure.

    Although some carpeting contains some pretty toxic stuff that you should probably avoid. Best to use only vacuum clean waste if you have hardwood floors.
    Anonymous said...
    This is a great idea - I also cut my own hair so I'll start adding it to the compost pile!
    Anonymous said...
    12-0-0? That's amazing. Next think you know, Al Gore will be talking about our Nitrogen footprint :P
    Anonymous said...
    We have always composted hair.

    It does break down but is probably the last thing to do so on the heap.
    bluebird1989 said...
    Like Anonomous, I also have a dozen eggs with a sell date of 3/3/09. Today is 3/8/09. I hardboiled them and want to put them in the compost bin, but need advice on this. Will they break down? Attract my local raccoon and oppossum?
    Anthony said...
    I think that hard boiled eggs are going to attract animals. I'd probably pass.

    I heard that putting an egg in the planting hole with a tomato plant provides calcium and other minerals to the plant. So maybe bury them in your vegetable garden if you can.
    Rumela said...
    Hair makes a marvelous mulch, if you have enough of it. As with any other organic material, it will eventually break down to improve the soil, but before it does, it will help to insulate the soil, and inhibit weeds. Snails and slugs don't like it at all, which is an added bonus. It can be quite attractive when used as a mulch/decoration for potted plants. Go for it! thank you for shearing your post.

    Thanks

    Rumela
    my site

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google