We've Moved

Growing Zucchini

ZucchiniThis year I decided that I'm a huge fan of Zucchini. Go Zucchini!!!

Sure I've grown it in the past but just a plant or two in the corner of one of my beds. This year, thanks to a mix up with my seed order, I had a lot more room in my garden. Usually I'll reserve a lot of space for a bunch of crook neck squash but somehow I forgot to order it and so I decided, why not grow a bunch of Zucchini instead? And looking back, I really glad I did.

I've noticed that when I have a surplus of a certain vegetable I tend to try new recipes instead of making the same old dishes. In my house, we usually grill Zucchini with onions and serve it as a side for London Broil. Nice, not thrilling, but nice. But this year the vegetable drawer was loaded with Zucchini so it was time to experiment.

My favorite new dish was Zucchini Frittata. So light and fluffy and tasty. Not really sure what the difference between a quiche and a frittata is, but I am sure that they're both delicious. And I plan on leaving plenty of room for Zucchini in next years garden too. Sorry crook neck squash, Go Zucchini!!!

8 Comments:

  1. Jenna said...
    Basically? Quiche = light and fluffy or rich and creamy. Fritatta = lots of texture. Scarambled eggs with attitude.

    By the by, I hope its okay, I put a link for your webside on a posting on my blog. I was talking about how we built our composter and wanted to make sure there was at least a few sources of really good information for people to read. If its a problem, let me know and I'll yank the link.
    Anthony said...
    Hi Jenna,
    Thanks for clearing up the Quiche/Fritatta mystery. I like your explanation. Scrambled eggs with attitude. :)

    And thanks for the link on your blog. I'll have to go check it out later today.
    Unknown said...
    Now I'm hungry. Can I give your arm a cyber-twist and get a recipe from you for that zucchini fritatta?
    Ki said...
    Doesn't the zucchini make the fritatta watery? Jeez, why are zucchini and fritatta so hard to spell. Even spell check has a hard time with fritatta. Interestingly it suggests irritative, irritating, irritation etc.

    Zucchini bread is pretty outstanding too!
    Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...
    Yum, I love zucchini--did you see I posted a tomato, shrimp, and zucchini recipe over at Tomato Casual (yes, I followed you here from your recent comment!)?

    I've also done a couple things with zucchini on my blog, Bleeding Espresso--look for my "What's Cooking Wednesday" label :)

    I have to agree on zucchini bread as well...yum, if you can stand turning on the oven (don't know how hot it is where you are!).
    Jenna said...
    There is a easy (honest) way to keep zucchini from watering everything down. I tend to toss it into muffin batter, bread batter, stirfrys, whatever (I SHOULD just track down actual recipes FOR the dratted thing, but its more of an on the fly add.)

    Grate it, put it in a clean tea towl, wring it out. Toss into whatever and no soggieness.
    Whyite said...
    Zukes are one of favs in the garden. They are great in all kinds of dishes, your Fritatta sounds good.
    Katie said...
    You should post some of these delicious recipes you talk about!

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google