We've Moved

Compost Bins Of Yesteryear

I was looking through some old photos today and spotted this picture of my very first compost bin. No, this isn't going to be one of those posts where I tell tales of life before the automobile and running water, I'm not that old yet. Actually it was only six years ago that I built this compost bin after watching Paul James build one on an episode of Gardening By The Yard.

That old bin was a massive wooden structure that I built with 4x4s and deck planks. It was actually two bins that were four feet square each and probably weighed a few hundred pounds. I only built one door because I ran out of lumber that day. The other door went on the To Do list of things that I never get around to.

Anyway, the bin was butt ugly but it got me hooked on composting. I discovered how fun it is to recycle leaves, kitchen scraps and eventually tons of other stuff that I've composted.

I get a lot of people coming to this blog looking for pictures and plans of compost bins. Here's my advice to them. It really doesn't matter what it looks like (or if it's missing a door). As long as you put your stuff in a pile, it'll turn into compost eventually.

2 Comments:

  1. OldRoses said...
    Applause, applause!! People think I'm nuts when they see all the stuff I throw into my composter. Then I show them what comes out of the bottom. It' beautiful! Of course, they revert to thinking I'm nuts when I shove a handful of "dirt" in their face and tell them to smell it! Doesn't everyone think that compost smells great?????
    Anthony said...
    I thought I was the only one who liked to smell finished compost. You'd think that I had two heads the way my wife looks at me when I get the kids to smell the compost.

Post a Comment



The Compost Bin - Copyright 2006-2012 No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. | Privacy Policy | Google